Vahid AREF is a member of technical staff in IP and Optical Networks research lab, Nokia Bell Labs. Dr. Aref earned his B.Sc. and M.Sc. in electrical engineering from Sharif University of Technology, Iran, in 2006 and 2008. He received his PhD degree in computer and communication sciences from École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), Lausanne, Switzerland, in March 2014.
Before Joining Bell Labs, he was a research assistant in the communication theory laboratory (LTHC), EPFL, from 2010 till 2014. In collaboration with Bell Labs, he conducted post-doctoral research in the institute of telecommunications (INÜ) at University of Stuttgart in 2014. Since 2016, Dr. Aref also serves as guest lecturer at the University of Stuttgart.
Vahid’s fields of research include coding and information theory, optical communications and nonlinearity mitigation techniques.
- Vahid Aref, Narayanan Rengaswamy, and Laurent Schmalen,” Finite-Length Analysis of Spatially-Coupled Regular LDPC Ensembles on Burst-Erasure Channels,” accepted in IEEE Transactions of Information Theory, Jan. 2018.
- Vahid Aref, Son T. Le, and Henning Buelow,” Modulation over Nonlinear Fourier Spectrum: Continuous and Discrete Spectrum,” IEEE Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 36,Issue 5, March 2018.
- Henning Buelow, Vahid Aref, and Laurent Schmalen,” Modulation on Discrete Nonlinear Spectrum: Perturbation Sensitivity and Achievable Rates,” IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Jan. 2018.
- Son T. Le, Vahid Aref, and Henning Buelow,” High Speed Pre-Compensated Nonlinear Frequency-Division Multiplexed Transmissions,” IEEE Journal of Lightwave Technology, Dec. 2017.
- Son T. Le, Karsten Schuh, Mathieu Chagnon, Fred Buchali, Roman Dischler, Vahid Aref, Henning Buelow, and Klaus M Engenhardt,” 1.72 Tb/s Virtual-Carrier Assisted Direct-Detection Transmission over 200km,” IEEE Journal of Lightwave Technology, Dec. 2017.
- Son T. Le, Vahid Aref, and Henning Buelow,” Nonlinear Signal Multiplexing for Communication beyond the Kerr Nonlinearity Limit“, Nature Photonics 11(9), 570-576, July 2017.
- Laurent Schmalen, Vahid Aref, Junho Cho, Detlef Suikat, Detlef Rösener, and Andreas Leven, “Spatially coupled soft-decision error correction for future lightwave systems,” IEEE Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 1109-1116, March 2015.
- Vahid Aref, Nicolas Macris, and Marc Vuffray,” Approaching the Rate-Distortion Limit with Spatial Coupling, Belief propagation and Decimation,” in IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol.61, no.7, pp.3954-3979, July 2015.
- Kasra Alishahi, Farokh Marvasti, Vahid Aref, and Pedram Pad,” Bounds on the Sum Capacity of Synchronous Binary CDMA Channels,” IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. 55, no. 8, pp. 3577–3593, July 2009.
Phone 0049 711 821 44159